Happy Tuesday! Can you guess where I am? Coffee shop with a cappuccino in front of me – guilty as charged. Hey, there’s nothing wrong with habits 😉 So today I thought I would use my training and experience as a Zumba instructor to give you tips and tricks to making the most out of a class! Here we go!
So you wanna Zumba? Fabulous! Because not only is it a killer workout, but it’s super fun! A quick breakdown – Zumba is a mix of Latin rhythms and aerobic fitness…(think Shakira does jazzercise). Zumba is a great workout for people wanting an accepting and positive workout environment and also those wanting some spunk in their typical workout regime. Typically, as an instructor, I burn between 500-700 calories per hour class. Crazy, right?! Who knew something so fun could be such an insane workout! One of the great things about Zumba is that you can do 200 squats and not even realize it! You get so caught up in the music and the energy that you aren’t thinking about every little exercise like you would if you were working out on your own. Zumba is basically one big party of people who want to get fit and have fun…so come join!
My Tips + Tricks for Rocking a Zumba Class
1. Come prepared. This means decent workout sneakers, a water bottle, and a positive mindset! These are all of the things you need to start your class off on a good note 🙂
2. Don’t get caught up. Yes, there will probably be some moves you can’t conquer right off the bat and there’s going to be that girl who goes to every class and kills every song…but you know what? That doesn’t matter. You’re here to better yourself. You’re making progress every minute and that’s all that should matter. ❤
3. Have fun! Like I said, Zumba is a party! If you’ve walked passed a class before you know what I mean. The music is bumping, everyone has smiles of their faces and the energy is palpable. So just have fun. Let the music move you and let this be the time where all your worries and responsibilities leave your head for a while.
4. Listen to your body. It is soo sooo important to not push yourself too hard. By this I mean if you feel light-headed or like you’re going to throw up, it’s time for a water break. In my classes, I don’t have a break between songs. Instead, I tell my students that they can take a break whenever they want: at the end of a song, in the middle of a song – it doesn’t matter! All that matters is that they don’t overdo it.
5. Try to arrive on time. Now for my classes it’s different because I’m dealing with college students (like myself) and my class begins when school classes get out. So I am very, very lenient when it comes to tardiness. However getting to class on time, or even 5 minutes early, allows for some prep time. Stretch a little, drink some water, talk to the instructor – get comfortable.
I hope these tips and tricks help and I hope you get out of your comfort zone if you’ve never tried Zumba before! So go shake it and have a great day luvs! ❤